March 3, 2008
2 cups Idli rice
3/4 cup udid dal (split black gram)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp curd
1/4 cup avalakki (flattened rice)
1 tbsp salt (approx)
1. Soak urad dal(along with fenugreek seeds and avalakki) and idli rice seperately for 5-6 hours
2. Later, grind urad dal into smooth paste using very little water. grind rice coarsely(it should feel like sooji rava when you touch the paste.)
3. Mix both the pastes, add curd and salt. stir well and keep it aside for fermentation for 10-12 hours in a warm place.
4. Pour fermented idli batter in the greased idli stand and steam for 12 mins on high flame.
5. Scoop out idlis from the mould with a wet spoon.
Serve hot idlis with coconut chutney and hot sambhar.