I have already posted Udin vada recipe on my blog. Udin vada is the most popular snack in Karnataka. I am not a huge fan of these vadas, but given me a choice, I would any time prefer Dahi vadas instead of udin vadas. But my husband's choice differs, he prefers udin vadas over dahi vadas. So, the good thing is that we wont fight over one dish :) I would choose one and he would choose the other.
Ingredients for udin vadas and dahi vada are almost same. Yogurt, pepper powder, sugar and salt is the addition for dahi vadas.
Starting with Vadas:
3/4 cup urad dal (black gram lentil without skin)
3 green chillis
1 inch ginger
oil for frying
1 tsp cumin seeds(optional)
2 Cups thick yogurt
1/4 water to whisk yogurt
1 tsp chat masala
1/2 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp sugar (according to sweetness)
Preparation of Vadas:
1. Soak urad dal for 4 hours and then grind it into smooth paste along with green chilis, ginger, salt and cumin seeds.
2. The batter should be thick enough. Grind using very less water.
3. Heat oil in a pan, drop slowly, small portions of batter in the oil with your hand or a spoon and deep fry till they turn light brown in color.You can also make hole in the vadas. But i find these types of vadas(1st pic) more quicker and easier to make.
You can have these vadas with tamarind chutney or coconut chutney.
Preparation of Dahi:
1. Whisk the yogurt by adding little water. It should be thick.
2. Add red chili powder, salt, sugar and chaat masala to it and keep it refrigerated for 1/2 hour.
Final Dahi Vada:
1. Put all the fried vadas in buttermilk and keep them soaked for half an hour.
2.In a bowl, take these vadas and pour the prepared dahi mixture on them.
2. Garnish it with chaat masala. Serve cold.