July 31, 2008

I'm Back/ My fav snack-Vada Pav

Hi friends, im back after a long break. Hope you all are doing well. I missed you all during my vacation. Since I had taken a break due to my health concerns, i could'nt comment on your recipes. But i kept myself updated and kept drooling over your recipes :)

Im here with my favourite snack which reminds me of Mumbai's street food.
Vada Pav is the most popular snack/fast food in Maharashtra. You can find many vada pav stalls on the streets of Mumbai. The stalls are always crowded, no wonder why this particular snack sells more than anything else. Why wont it sell, the smell of the vada pav is enough to tempt anyone. One can conduct a business by selling only vada pavs in the stall, still he can make huge profits. Its a common man's food. An instant snack which is stomach filling esp The Jumbo Vada pav, which has the large market share in this business.

I have followed Aayi's recipe while making this snack. I have made few changes while doing so.
Here is how i made it:

For Batata Vadas:
4 large boiled potatoes, peeled and mashed
1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped (optional)
salt to taste
1/2 cup gram flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste

For tempering:
Mustard seeds
Cumin seeds
turmeric
3-4 curry leaves
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 green chilies finely chopped

Buns/pav
Hot and sweet tamarind chutney

Preparation:
1. Mix gram flour, rice flour, salt in a mixing bowl and prepare batter for the vadas using water. The batter should be able to coat the vadas evenly..
2. Heat oil in a pan, add all the tempering items in the above order.
3. Add chopped onions and saute till they are translucent.
4. Add mashed potatoes, salt and mix well till the mixture gets yellow color evenly.



5. Take a small portion of the mixture and make equal sized balls.



6. Now, dip each ball in the batter and deep fry till it is light brown in color.
Take out the vadas on the paper towel and remove the excess oil.



7. Apply tamarind chutney on both sides of the bun.
8. Place the vada in the center of the bun and serve.