August 15, 2008
Yummy Gulab Jamuns For WYF
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY TO ALL MY BLOGGER FRIENDS. HAVE FUN!
When i had jamuns at my aunt's place after dinner, i was craving for more when i got back home. She makes perfect jamuns. I had made jamuns before using the gulab jamun mix store bought pack, they of course turned out to be delicious..But I had to try my aunt's home made gulab jamun recipe too. Here is her recipe:
1 cup mawa
2 tbsp all purpose flour
3 cups water
A pinch of baking soda
Few strands of saffron (optional)
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp clarified butter
oil for deep frying
1. In a vessel, mix sugar and water and allow it to boil.Boil the water till it becomes thick. Add saffron and cardamom powder after it boils.
2.In a mixing bowl, add mawa, flour, baking soda and knead into a soft dough using very little water.
3. Grease your palms with butter and make small marble sized balls. Make sure there are no cracks in the balls.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan, drop the balls slowly into the hot oil and fry them till brown.
5. Take the balls out on a paper towel to remove excess oil from them.
6. Drop the fried balls in the hot syrup (not while boiling) and keep it aside for 1/2 hour to 45 mins. More they are in the syrup, softer they become.
I am sending this entry to WYF:Color in food event.