September 29, 2008
1 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
water to knead
2 tsp oil
1 cup coconut frozen/fresh
1/2 tsp red chili powder/1 green chilli finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
3-4 curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1. In a mixing bowl, take wheat flour, add a pinch of salt, oil and knead into dough using water. The dough should not be too hard. Keep it for 1/2 hour.
2. In a pan, prepare tadka(oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric, green chilli) and add coconut and saute till its completely dry. Add salt. Allow it to cool down.This mixture can also be taken as a side dish with chapathis.
3. Make equal balls of the dough and flatten each ball.
4. Take a small portion of coconut mixture and stuff it inside the flattened dough and cover it from all sides and roll into a normal paratha.
5. Preheat the chapati griddle/tava. Oil each side of paratha and bake it on both sides.
Top it with butter and serve it with any of your favourite vegetable or any other side dish. These parathas taste good even without any side dish.
1. Thaw the frozen coconut before cooking.You will know that the coconut is ready when its starts becoming brown in the sides.