November 10, 2008
This is a sweet dish prepared in Karnataka especially during Diwali festival. My mom prepared this dish during the festival. I want to share it with you all. It made of Sooji Rava and All purpose flour. I bought All purpose flour specially for preparing this dish (I had not bought this flour before, as I had mentioned in my Whole Wheat veg pizza ;)).
1 cup Charote Rava/fine sooji rava
1/4 cup All purpose flour
Ghee/clarified butter for frying
1 tbsp or according to requirement- Rice flour and clarified butter paste (Mix both together to form paste)
few strands of Saffron
3/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
How to make:
1. Mix rava , all purpose flour, a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp hot clarified butter and mix well. Knead this mixture into a dough. It should be like chapati dough. Keep this dough aside for 2 hours. Cover it with damp cloth.
2. Take 2 small portions of the dough and flatten them into thin chapatis with a rolling pin. Apply the rice flour and butter paste (See above) on 1 chapati and keep another chapati over it.
3. Now roll these chapatis (Like spring rolls). Apply rice flour paste on each layer and then cut this roll into 1 inch pieces. Repeat this step for the remaining portions of the dough.
4. Now flatten each piece in desired shape and deep fry them into hot clarified butter. These are your charotes.
5. Meanwhile prepare syrup. Heat water and sugar in a pan and boil it till it becomes bit thick and sticky. Add saffron and cardamom powder to this mixture.
6. Drop each fried charotes into this syrup and keep them soaked in it for 2 mins.
Serve them hot.
Here are more clear pictures of how to make charotes. Click here.