I hunted for eggless zebra cake recipes on web, but there were very few of them. I had flax seed powder on hand, so wanted to use that as egg substitute. Since I did not want to use soda or any other substitutes, I decided to take chances. I had no hopes for fluffy and soft cake, since a few cakes before this (using flax seed powder) didnt come out too well.
But surprisingly, this time, zebra cake was amazingly soft. I followed the recipe from Sailusfood. She has used eggs in her recipes. Her cake looks very fluffy. Initially I wasn't sure about my cake, so I made a small cake measuring half of the quantity of whatever she used.
So, here is her recipe (and my measurements):
1/2 cup sugar (See my notes)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil (corn, vegetable or canola)
1 cups maida/all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
2 tbsps dark cocoa powder
2 eggs (I used 2 tbsp flax seed powder mixed in 6 tbsp of water)
I followed the same procedure:
1. Combine eggs(flax seed mixture)and sugar in a bowl till light and creamy. Add milk, oil and vanilla essence and beat till smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, combine maida and baking pwd. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until the batter is smooth and the dry ingredients are completely incorporated. Do not overbeat.
3. Divide the batter into two. Add the cocoa pwd to one portion and combine well.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease the baking pan. The most important part is assembling the cake batter in a baking pan. Pour 3 heaped tablespoons of plain batter into the middle of the baking pan. Then pour 3 tablespoons of cocoa batter in the center on top of the plain batter. Continue alternating with plain and cocoa batter without pausing for the batter to spread.
5. Bake for 40 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake it should come out clean when ready. Remove from the oven. Run a small thin knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake. Leave aside for 15 mts and invert the cake onto a cooling rack. Turn the cake back over and cool further.
1. I felt sweetness of the cake was bit less. So I think instead of 1/2 cup sugar, I should have added 2/3 cup sugar.
I also tried muffins with the same batter. But I couldnt make the decoration properly as on the cake.
Instead of Zebra muffins, I would rather call them as "Smiling muffins" Look how they are smiling at you.